Judge shoots down Jussie Smollett, compels him to face trial

Infamous former “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett wanted to avoid trial on charges that he lied to police about being the victim of so-called “hate crime.”

But a judge’s decision Friday means the case will move forward, with jury selection set to begin Nov. 29.

The saga started in early 2019, when Smollett, who is black and gay, claimed two men attacked him and directed racist and homophobic language at him.

But his story quickly fell apart.

As The Associated Press reported: “He was charged weeks later with filing a false police report, after investigators concluded that he staged the attack and paid two brothers to carry it out because he was unhappy about his salary and wanted to promote his career. That case, however, was dropped.”

Eventually, a special prosecutor was appointed, and that prosecutor has charged Smollett with six counts of disorderly conduct.

But Smollett’s legal team thought that was unfair.

“An attorney for the former ‘Empire’ star argued that hauling Smollett into court would amount to a violation of his rights, since he had already performed community service and given up a $10,000 bond as part of a previous on-prosecution agreement with the Cook County state’s attorney’s office,” Page Six reported.

“A deal is a deal. That’s ancient principle,” lawyer Nenye Uche said.

Judge James Linn wasn’t having it, refusing to interrupt the case and instead allowing it to move forward.

A lawyer for the brothers who Smollett allegedly hired to carry out the hoax, Ola and Abel Osundairo, said they regret their actions.

The brothers “have tremendous regret over their involvement in this situation,” the lawyer said, according to NBC News.

“They understand how it has impacted people across the nation, particularly minority communities and especially those who have been victims of hate crimes themselves,” the attorney added.