Federal prosecutors drop assault charges against man accused in connection with attack on Brian Sicknick

Authorities have dropped the felony assault charges against a man originally accused in connection with an attack on now-deceased Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, federal prosecutors revealed Wednesday.

George Tanios of West Virginia originally faced charges of rioting, assaulting law enforcement officers, and obstruction, The Washington Post reported.

But no longer.

“At a hearing in Federal District Court in Washington, Mr. Tanios, 40, pleaded guilty to one count of illegally entering a restricted area and a second count of disorderly conduct after prosecutors dropped the assault charges against him,” The New York Times reported.

“He will face a maximum sentence of a year in prison on each of the misdemeanor counts at a proceeding scheduled for December.”

Mainstream media outlets originally framed Sicknick’s death as a murder. However, The Times later admitted that was not correct.

“While early reports suggested that Officer Sicknick died of his injuries one day after the attack, an autopsy later determined that he had died of natural causes, after suffering multiple strokes that were not directly related to the violence at the Capitol,” the outlet said.

In an interview last year with American Greatness, Tanios recalled how the felony assault charges had changed his life.

“I was about to get in the shower and had my robe on when I heard crazy banging on my front door,” he said. “Then I heard ‘put your f—ing hands up!’”

“I had no idea what I was being arrested for,” he added. “No one would answer me.”

Days later, Tanios found out what he was being accused of.

“I almost had a heart attack,” Tanios said. “I begged them to take the handcuffs off me because my heart dropped. ‘I am not a cop killer,’ I said.”

Tanios said his reputation had been “destroyed.”

“In the court of public opinion, we’ve all been destroyed,” he said. “The truth is going to come out, though, it has to.”