Clarence Thomas misses third straight day of oral arguments, court won’t say if he’s still hospitalized

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas missed his third consecutive day of oral arguments Wednesday, as a court spokesperson would not reveal if he was still in the hospital.

Thomas was hospitalized Friday and diagnosed with an infection, the court said in a statement Sunday.

At the time, the court said Thomas had experienced “flue-like symptoms,” was being treated with antibiotics, and was expected to be released within a “day or two.”

“Justice Clarence Thomas was admitted to Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C., on Friday evening after experiencing flu-like symptoms,” the Sunday statement read.

“He underwent tests, was diagnosed with an infection, and is being treated with intravenous antibiotics. His symptoms are abating, he is resting comfortably, and he expects to be released from the hospital in a day or two,” the statement added.

But on Wednesday, Thomas missed his third straight day of oral arguments. And when asked about his condition, court spokeswoman Patricia McCabe would not provide any details.

“No update,” she said, according to CNN.

Thomas’ medical issue is not related to COVID-10, McCabe previously told The New York Times.

Chief Justice John Roberts did note Thomas’ absence on Wednesday, saying from the bench, “Justice Thomas is unable to be present today,” as The Washington Post reported.

Roberts said Thomas would be relying on briefs and hearing transcripts to get up to speed on everything he missed.

Thomas, 73, is currently the second-oldest justice on the court, and the longest-serving.

He was sworn into office in 1991 after being nominated by then-President George H.W. Bush.

Thomas is considered by many to the leader of the conservative wing of the court, which holds a 6-3 majority.