27 shot, 6 dead in bloody Chicago weekend

Another weekend, another bloodbath in the streets of Lori Lightfoot’s Chicago.

According to WLS-TV, 27 people were shot in the Windy City between Friday and Sunday.

Six people died from their wounds, including a 17-year-old boy.

“The teen was standing in the driveway of a home in the 9500-block of South Sangamon Street about 2:20 a.m. Saturday morning when he was struck in the chest by gunfire,” WLS reported.

“He was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead, police said. He was identified as Lee Carter Jr. by the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Among the wounded was an 11-year-old girl.

Sadly, these victims aren’t outliers.

Since the beginning of the year, 68 minors have been shot in Chicago, four more than the same period last year.

Of those, 14 died. Last year, 12 minors had died of gunshot wounds by this time.

And the violence wasn’t just limited to the young, either.

“Hours earlier, two people were shot, one fatally, in Woodlawn,” WLS reported.

“Just before 8 p.m., someone opened fire during a fight in the 1500-block of East 61st Street, police said. Darius Sanders, 29, suffered a gunshot wound to the head, police and the medical examiner’s office said.

“He was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, police said. A 31-year-old woman was struck in the hand and taken to the same hospital in fair condition, police said.”

Embattled Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot has promised more resources to tackle Chicago’s crime issues as she faces an uphill battle for re-election in 2023.

“We are only getting out of the problem we have right now by being diligent, by working on the guns,” Lightfoot said during a town hall meeting in March.

She added that she planned to work with community organizers and faith leaders to reduce the crime rate.

“We must do better to reclaim our history and to invest (in these areas),” she said.

Chicago had 797 homicides last year, the most since 1996.